As you acquire different programs prepared by Dr. Miller to help you achieve different goals, you will notice that there are three basic types of recordings — just as there are three types of programs Dr. Miller might record during individual consultation
1. Heart-to-Heart Programs: Inspiration and Insight
Many of Dr. Miller’s “Software for the Mind” programs are “Heart-to-Heart” talks. These consist of Dr. Miller’s explanations and guidance, and are different from the “eyes closed” Meditation type of deep relaxation recordings described below.
These recordings are valuable to listen to repeatedly, and because you don’t necessarily need to be in a relaxed place with your eyes closed, it is usually safe to listen while you do other things including driving, provided these activities are not too distracting. (You are the responsible one to decide this.)
It is important that you understand the cause of the problem, imbalance, or challenge you are dealing with, the strategy you will follow, and the goals of this phase of the coaching or treatment. The information or conversation in the Heart-T0-Heart Talks here should be listened to on a number of occasions – first to make sure you understand the logic of the explanation and the strategy (necessary to enlist the faith of your conscious mind), and second, to continue to reinforce this information from time to time (perhaps once or twice a week).
2. Deep Relaxation/Image Rehearsal
These consist basically of training in relaxation and seeing yourself in a positive light. The ability to relax, to reach a positively affirming state of “I Am,” and to picture yourself in an enthusiastically positive light is the most fundamental skill you will learn. Use the CDs/MP3s/Tapes two or three times a day until you can reliably follow the suggestions, relax, and experience yourself in a positive way. You will probably be able to do this within a period of a few days to a few weeks.
- As you become more proficient, occasionally turn off the recording part way through and continue the experience from memory. Finally, practice carrying out the entire imagery process from memory. You may discover you can do this in 1/4 to 1/2 the time it takes on the recording! As in learning any new skill, if you practice at the same time, in the same place, each day (at least in the beginning), you will tend to learn easier and faster.
- Relaxation is the direct antidote to stress. First, you will learn to enter deep relaxation during your session. Then, in a graduated fashion, you will expand this ability so you will be able to relax in a safe, familiar place at home. Next, you will learn to relax and hold a positive image anywhere at home, with or without the recording. And finally you will be able to enter this relaxed state anywhere, even during periods of stress, simply by traveling over the now familiar mental pathway!
3. Desensitization/Reconditioning/Rescripting CDs/MP3s/Tapes
It is very important to use these CDs/MP3s/Tapes frequently because they deal with specific dysfunctional response patterns—mental, physical, emotional, and habit – and their effectiveness can generally be measured by the degree of disappearance of those dysfunctional patterns and their replacement with positive, healthy patterns.